Chrysura austriaca

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

Chrysura austriaca

Postby Beetle » 13 Aug 2012 10:15

I have found this nice species on old tree in floodplain forest. More pictures of cuckoo wasps from this and next places in my new article (only in Czech), but most important are pictures ;)
http://www.macrophotography.cz/index.ph ... =2&lang=cs
Attachments
Last edited by Beetle on 16 Aug 2012 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
Beetle

Name: Pavel Krasensky

Re: Chrysura austriaca

Postby Euchroeus » 16 Aug 2012 12:24

Hi Pavel!

Fantastic pictures!!!

Yes, this one should be Chrysura austriaca (Fabricius).

I quickly checked your page, and it's really beautiful.

I have only one suggestion about the name Chrysis indica.
I would suggest you to change it in Chrysis indigotea Dufour & Perris, 1840.
The name indica should be considered as a nomen oblitum.
Kimsey & Bohart (1990) used this name for the first time, and included indigotea in the synonymic list.
The type of indica is lost, and we cannot check it. However, this is not important. What you should know, is that ALL the European authors used the name indigotea as the valid name for more than 100 years. According to the Code of Zoological Nomenclature, this is a case of Reversal of precedence, and the prevailing usage must be maintained. I'm writing an article on this topic and on many other nomenclatorial cases for the European fauna.
Fortunately, after Kimsey & Bohart, only Mingo (1994) and Tyrner (2007) used the name indica, but all the other main authors (Kunz, Strumia, Niehuis, Rosa, etc., Faunaeur) went on using the name indigotea.

Cheers
Paolo
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Re: Chrysura austriaca

Postby Beetle » 16 Aug 2012 12:56

Hi Paolo,

thank you for your comments to my pictures and many thanks for your useful informations about Chrysis indigotea. I´m interested in Chrysididae about 2 years, in the past only as a photographer. In last year I have tried to learn more about these amazing insects and I use informations and help from Pavel Tyrner. But, he told me very often the situation in Chrysididae is rather complicated and as an entomologist I know to do results without revision of type material is in most cases impossible. As I see the type of indica was lost, it´a a shame. I will change the name indica on my webpage and in my collection as well. I have more than 50 specimens from my last trip to Croatia, there are Chrysis, Chrysura, Stilbum, Omalus, Hedychrum and Spintharina so I have to determine them with help of Pavel Tyrner.

Cheer
Pavel
Beetle

Name: Pavel Krasensky

Return to Pictures | Immagini