Chrysis ignita group - Hungary

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

Chrysis ignita group - Hungary

Postby piros » 06 Feb 2012 00:03

Dear Forum!

I captured this specimen near Szeged, Hungary, on 05-07.2011. I tried to ID it by using the key of Móczár, L. to Hungarian Chrysididae, and, based on that, I thought it could be Chrysis mediata, but I am not sure at all! (I think I need more experience with the ignita group :? )
I would greatly appreciate any help!

Thank you for your attention!

Kind regards,

Henrik
Attachments
piros

Name: Henrik Gyurkovics

Re: Chrysis ignita group

Postby Euchroeus » 06 Feb 2012 22:56

Hi!

I don't have material to compare too, but as far as I can see from the picures (the first one is too small to see the punctuation) it is not mediata.
In mediata the punctuation on T-II is distinctly smaller than the punctuation on T-I (see the attached image).

However you can easily prepare the fifth internal sternite; the ovipositor is already outside. The shape of the mediata subgroup is quite typical (see the line drowing on the left). From your picture the ovipositor seems to be very simple; if so, the shape will be the one typical for C. ignita (line drawing on the right).

Let me know
Cheers
Paolo
Attachments
mediata.jpg
mediata.jpg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
sternites.jpg
sternites.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 8259 times
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Postby Villu » 08 Feb 2012 13:46

Hi!

I agree with Paolo that it is not Chrysis mediata. The ovipositor is just not right for C. mediata.

I suspect it might be Chrysis schencki but this species can not be confidently identified from these photos. I suggest you to check the mandible from profile. C. schencki has rather thin mandible, only C. leptomandibularis has it more slender. Also you should be able to see if the mandible is getting narrower starting from base towards apex rather evenly or it is getting narrower only at the basal part and is almost parallel during most of its length. The latter character state is typical for C. schencki.

Regards,
Villu
Villu

Name: Villu Soon

Postby piros » 09 Feb 2012 19:54

Dear Paolo and Villu!

Many thanks to both of you for your time and consideration! Today I took out S 5 (at least I hope it is S5 :) ). Although I broke it, it is still clear that it is not at all similar to S5 of C. mediata, as depicted in the above drawing. I attached a picture of it below.
I also had a look at the mandibles from a side view, and a think it is thin, and kind of similar to what Villu described as characteristic to C. schencki, but to be on the safe side I will post a picture of it tomorrow! (I remounted the specimen, so I have to wait until it gets dry.)

Thanks again, and

Kind regards,

Henrik
Attachments
Chrysis s S5.jpg
Chrysis s S5.jpg (134.96 KiB) Viewed 8240 times
piros

Postby Euchroeus » 11 Feb 2012 13:07

Dear Piros,

thanks for your picture and work.
Your image exclude the mediata subgroup (or aggregate) and all the related species (mediadentata, pseudobrevitarsis, etc.).
It is related to ignita s.str. group, but it is not ignita.
Let's wait for the mandibles
;-)

Cheers
Paolo
Euchroeus

Postby piros » 11 Feb 2012 19:49

Dear Paolo and Villu,

It took me quite some time to get a picture of the mandible :) , but finally, here it is:

(I hope it is good enough :? )

Thanks again for your attention!
Attachments
piros

Postby Euchroeus » 22 Feb 2012 12:43

Hi Piros,

thanks for your nice picture.
Mandibles are not slender. Now I have no time to check and compare all the character.
Let's wait for Villu or a couple of week, when I come back in my lab.

Cheers
Paolo
Euchroeus

Postby piros » 22 Feb 2012 14:26

Hi Paolo!

Thanks for your answer! I am quite ready to wait...

Kind regards,

Henrik
piros

Postby piros » 20 Mar 2012 01:02

Dear Paolo and Villu!

Would one of you be able now to compare this specimen to others in order to ID it? Or, alternatively, I could mail it to whoever would be willing to have a closer look. The reason I am so keen on knowing the species is that I have found several specimens of what seems to be the same sp., and nothing else from the ignita group in, or arround Szeged :?

Thanks in advance!

Henrik
piros

Postby Euchroeus » 23 Mar 2012 13:15

Hi Henrik,

I'm sorry but in this period I have only few minutes for Chrysidids.
You you can find many specimens of this species, you could send one or more specimens (possibly male and female) to us. Maybe it's easier :-)

Cheers
Paolo
Euchroeus

Return to Pictures | Immagini