North Apennines: genus or species identification possible?

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

North Apennines: genus or species identification possible?

Postby briang » 19 Jul 2019 10:16

I watched and tried to photograph some chrysidid wasps on 1st July 2019 near to Teruzzi (PC) in the northern Apennines (Emilia Romagna, Italy), on the lower slopes of M. Menegosa. There seemed to be 3 or 4 different types in total. This is my second post (my first was on 14 July). As before, I would really like to know the genus, and if possible, the species! This was smaller than others, c 6mm (estimated).

As requested in Forum guidelines, I add a few notes. Monte Menegosa is an outcrop of ophiolitic rocks, rising to over 1300m. The wasps were seen (c 1000m) along the edge of a rocky path with some areas of loose sandy soil (with nesting hymenoptera). There are woods below the track and open grassy slopes above it. The wasps were very active, moving fast from leaf to leaf and from plant to plant. Sometimes they appeared to feed from an exudate from the plant (sorry, I don't know the species). There might be 2 or 3 wasps in front of me, then they would all vanish, and in 15 minutes wasps would again be present.
Attachments
briang

Name: Brian Groombridge

Re: North Apennines: genus or species identification possibl

Postby jeromec » 19 Jul 2019 17:11

Nice picture : it is a Chrysis, succincta group. I can not say any more.
jeromec

Location: France (East of France, adjacent to the Switzerland)
Name: jerome carminati

Postby briang » 19 Jul 2019 17:20

Jerome, thank you for a useful answer! And very quick also. I will check out the succincta group but I'm content with "Chrysis sp.". Merci.
PS. I think the plant they were so interested in must be some kind of Euphorbia.
briang

Name: Brian Groombridge

Postby Euchroeus » 21 Jul 2019 21:41

Hi All,

yes, Jerome is right, it's the male of Chrysis bicolor, a quite common species in that area.
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Return to Pictures | Immagini