Is identification possible? N. Apennines, Italy. 16 August

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

Is identification possible? N. Apennines, Italy. 16 August

Postby briang » 23 Aug 2019 10:26

Unfortunately just a couple of images of this wasp before it flew away. I saw it on a stone on a bank of bare earth in a mountain area (c 1000m) where I saw other chrysidids back in July. Other wasps and bees nest in the area. To me, as a beginner, it looks like another Chrysis. My images show shape and colour but have no details of structure. I estimated about 5-6mm length. Is there any chance of getting to species identification?
Thank you for any help!
Brian

EDIT: I have added a third image of a chrysid feeding in a saxifrage, taken a couple of days earlier. Perhaps it is the same species? This was a sunny day, but the images posted first were on a dull day.
Attachments
briang

Name: Brian Groombridge

Re: Is identification possible? N. Apennines, Italy. 16 Augu

Postby Alex » 23 Aug 2019 11:48

Chrysis scutellaris, always a pretty species, I really like how you've captured the golden scutellum in the top pictures!
Alex

Name: Alexander Berg

Re: Is identification possible? N. Apennines, Italy. 16 Augu

Postby briang » 23 Aug 2019 12:03

Alex, so kind of you to reply so quickly, and with a species-level identification!! Yes, very pretty, but I have never yet seen one of these wasps that isn't amazing. I think the dull light conditions in the first images actually helped to show the red-orange nicely, and that drew my eye to the wasp in the first place. Thank you again for your response.
Brian
briang

Name: Brian Groombridge

Return to Pictures | Immagini