Blue-green chrysidid, Emilia-Romagna, 11 September

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

Blue-green chrysidid, Emilia-Romagna, 11 September

Postby briang » 12 Sep 2019 18:27

Middle of the day, 11 September, Val d'Arda (PC), Emilia-Romagna, North Italy. I was waiting next to an old pile of cut logs in a corner of a meadow, hoping to see Ectemnius, Tachysphex, and other wasps that live there. At several moments one or more usually two chrysidids would appear on the logs. Both were blue-green in general colour, the larger one (6-7mm) with more blue in the abdomen, the smaller one (5-6mm and slender) mostly green. They rushed around at high speed, running and flying, and only once stopped for a moment, when I was able to take photographs. I think the photos are of the larger one. Is there a chance of telling me the genus? Perhaps species? OK, I know species will be very unlikely. I wondered if it might be a Chrysidea? I think there is a small point on each side at rear of thorax. But that is wishful thinking because it would be a new genus for me! Thanks for any help.
Brian
Attachments
briang

Name: Brian Groombridge

Re: Blue-green chrysidid, Emilia-Romagna, 11 September

Postby jeromec » 13 Sep 2019 09:20

Hello,
For me it is Trichrysis cyanea (see the discoidal cell : nervures are strong, not as in Chrysidea), a very common species.

Jérôme
jeromec

Location: France (East of France, adjacent to the Switzerland)
Name: jerome carminati

Postby briang » 13 Sep 2019 16:20

Jérôme, Thank you very much for your answer. I'm very happy to have a species identification, also to have a genus other than Chrysis for a change. I think every chrisidid I have seen up to now has been Chrisis. Never mind that it is one of the most widespread and common!! Thanks for pointing out that feature of the venation: very evident once you mention it. Well, I expect these are the last I will see until next year....
briang

Name: Brian Groombridge

Postby jeromec » 14 Sep 2019 14:21

Here I made 2 nervation : left : Chrysidea & right, Chrysis, Trichrysis, Chrysura, Spintharina.
https://www.galerie-insecte.org/galerie/view.php?ref=217915
jeromec

Location: France (East of France, adjacent to the Switzerland)
Name: jerome carminati

Return to Pictures | Immagini