Chrysis gribodoi or close? N Italy

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

Chrysis gribodoi or close? N Italy

Postby briang » 31 Aug 2020 10:34

Val d’Arda (PC), N Italy. 28.viii.2020. I think this is a Chrysis but I would much appreciate advice on species identification. It looked quite similar to Chrysis illigeri in colour and pattern, as seen at home in England. However, it was more strongly blue on the head and thorax and the apical margin of T3 is quite smooth and rounded, with a hint of a single apical prominence, so it cannot be illigeri. I wonder if it is Chrysis gribodoi, or succincta, or is ‘succincta group’ as far as we can go?

Found in a small area of compacted sandy soil with coarse grass and other low vegetation. About 950 m. It was running around on the ground, occasionally among plants, sometimes scratching into the sand. Then it would suddenly fly a few centimetres, then again, then a metre or more, then I would lose it. Halictid bees and crabronid wasps (Tachysphex, small Crossocerus) nest where the chrysidids were seen (the same site where Hedychridium krajnaki and another similar to He. roseum were found, see recent posts).

Any advice gratefully received! Thanks, Brian.
Ps: probably only one or two more questions this year!
Attachments
briang

Name: Brian Groombridge

Re: Chrysis gribodoi or close? N Italy

Postby Euchroeus » 31 Aug 2020 22:28

Dear Brian,

I would say female of Chrysis frivaldszkyi.

Basically you cannot separate this female from the female of Chrysis succincta.
However, males are very different and in this area only Chrysis frivaldszkyi is known and common.

You can proceed with the next question ;)
Ciao!
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Re: Chrysis gribodoi or close? N Italy

Postby briang » 01 Sep 2020 07:19

Grazie mille Paolo! It’s good to learn a little and get a name, and it is an interesting eastern species
Brian
briang

Name: Brian Groombridge

Return to Pictures | Immagini