Large chrysidid, N Appenines, Italy

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

Large chrysidid, N Appenines, Italy

Postby briang » 23 Jun 2021 09:29

22 June 2021. c1000m. This wasp was very large for a chrysidid; perhaps 10mm or more. It seems distinctive so I hope someone can tell me the genus, and perhaps species? Photos not ideal because it stayed mostly on the far side of the Armeria flower. It arrived on the flower just in front of me and stayed almost 2 seconds! The third photo shows the sandy banks where I was. Thank you for any help!
Attachments
briang

Name: Brian Groombridge

Re: Large chrysidid, N Appenines, Italy

Postby Euchroeus » 24 Jun 2021 23:29

Oh yes :wohow:

Stilbum calens
It is the largest cuckoo wasp flying in Italy (together with Stilbum cyanurum and Parnopes grandior).

A real jewel :beer:
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Postby briang » 25 Jun 2021 07:26

Fantastic. Thank you Paolo. I could not believe my eyes when it arrived; never seen a chrysidid so big and so bright (I’ve seen Parnopes grandior at a nearby site last year, and it is a wonderful wasp, but possibly not so remarkably jewel-like!). Beautiful and a new genus for me…
(I managed one more image yesterday which I will add to this post when I have resized it)
briang

Postby briang » 25 Jun 2021 19:31

I saw Stilbum candens again at the same site the next day. Unfortunately it was in full sun so reflections have made the photo a bit blurry. Thanks again for the ID!
Attachments
briang

Return to Pictures | Immagini