LONGBOARDING: USEFUL TIPS FOR BEGINNERS

[EN] Post your photos and ask for the identification
[IT] Invia le tue immagini e richiedi l'identificazione

LONGBOARDING: USEFUL TIPS FOR BEGINNERS

Postby christopharris » 22 Nov 2021 09:05

Learning to skateboard is not easy, especially when you can not find good skating instructors. Though longboarding does not contain many difficult tricks or techniques like other skating styles, newbies still have to struggle with some fundamental skills as they are unfamiliar with big skateboards.

To help beginners get started with ease and get to know longboarding properly, I will provide you with some useful tips for beginners in longboarding in today’s thread. Hopefully, all newcomers to this style can find all the information they need.

Below are some tips that were taken from my experience and what I read at SkateAdvisors through the tips shared by pro skaters there. At SkateAdvisors there is author Robert Parker - who has experience writing about skateboarding, so the articles in skateadvisors are of good quality!

FIND A DECENT LONGBOARD

Of course, there will be no such thing called the best skateboard for beginners but there will be the most suitable one. Depending on your size, age, purposes, or level, the term “right board” can vary differently.

KEEPING BALANCE

All skating styles require riders to be capable of staying balanced on their board before moving on with the basic techniques; however, some have to struggle in maintaining good balance. For the most effective result, newbies had better practice on grass or a thick carpet so that the board can not move easily.

Remember to keep the back foot perpendicular to the deck and the other stays at a 45-degree angle to the deck. From my experience, bending your knees a little bit does help a lot in staying balanced.

REGULAR OF GOOFY

Have you ever felt that the way you are standing on your longboard feels a bit strange or unnatural? If yes, you have probably been choosing the wrong stance. If you are comfortable with the “regular” stance, you will find it natural to put the left foot in the front and the other in the back. Otherwise, you belong to the “goofy” stance.

Since I don’t want to put this tip in front of the second one because I want you to have some experience riding your board first. By doing so, you would be able to tell which position suits you the most.

In case you are still confused by the two stances, here is what the guide at SkateAdvisors showed how to determine the skating stance. Initially, you stand with both feet on the board and ask someone to give you a gentle and sudden push. The foot that your instinct tells you to put forward will determine exactly your stance.

PUSHING

To ride on a big longboard, you need to get familiar with standing on only one leg while the other has to push to gain speed. Here, another problem arises called “balancing on one leg” which may be strange to most beginners.

With enough practice, I believe that you can get the hang of pushing soon even though the board tends to lean left and right during pushing. Once you know the way to accelerate, it’s time to learn how to stop.

TURNING STANCE

Longboarding means you have to handle the corners well; therefore, a newbie should never forget to learn about turning stance. To get started, you can eight stand on your longboard on the carpet or the grass. Then, try to shift your weight to each size to feel what is called “lean to the sides”.

While riding, it is effective to roll back and forth so that the ankles enable you to lean in different directions with just your toes or heels. After all, the thing is just how well you can stay balanced while shifting your weight toward different positions.

BRAKING

Braking is a crucial skill that every longboard must be proficient at to stay safe. In some longboarding styles like freeriding or downhill skating, riders are capable of experiencing 50 mph+ speed. In these fast circumstances, knowing how to slow down properly is the key to staying away from unwanted accidents.

Foot braking is the most popular method to stop a skateboard that is widely recommended at any skateboarding website including SkateAdvisors. Technically, foot braking looks somehow like the variant of pushing; however, you will brush the ground with your foot instead of kicking.

By dropping the back foot to the ground, more friction is created and hence, the faster riders can stop their board. To ensure the safety of your feet, never drag your foot to the ground without knowing that it is flat and parallel to the ground.

FINAL WORDS

Skateboarding takes time and effort to become a master; therefore, don’t let these initial difficulties stop you from conquering this fascinating sport. For beginners, this post can somehow show them the needed information for getting the hang of this skating style.

Sometimes, these tips may not work for you or your friends. In this case, try to get an experienced skater to watch you perform and give you some comments on what should be improved.
Attachments
3c58d-dsc_2141-.o..jpg
3c58d-dsc_2141-.o..jpg (38.3 KiB) Viewed 3968 times
Last edited by christopharris on 19 Jul 2022 06:07, edited 2 times in total.
christopharris

Name: Christop Harris

Re: Cleptes sp. - Serbia

Postby Euchroeus » 25 Nov 2021 17:18

:welcome: Chris

Cleptes are always nice findings!
Unfortunately I cannot help you more than this ...

Cheers!
Paolo
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Return to Pictures | Immagini