preparation...

[EN] Resources, announcements, news and other stuff
[IT] Risorse, segnalazioni, annunci e altre curiosità

preparation...

Postby cosmln » 30 Jul 2011 17:19

Hi to all,

Not sure where to put this one so... here it is.

I have a question, all the summer I have tried to collect some specimens also with the use of yellow traps (yellow plates/water+detergent).

Now I can say that I have collected almost nothing (a maximum of 20 specimens) but the specimens collected with this method are rather rigid (specially the wings articulation, but not only). Is any way to be able to prepare them nicely (spreaded)... or this just glue/pin?

:thanks:
Cosmin-Ovidiu Manci
http://cosmln.nature4stock.com - biology & photography
http://dragonfly.nature4stock.com - Dragonflies of Romania
cosmln

Name: Cosmin-O. Manci

Re: preparation...

Postby Euchroeus » 30 Jul 2011 18:05

Hi Cosmin,

yes, this is the right place ;)

I usually leave the specimens in a plastic tube together with sawdust, some drops of water and ether. After few days they should be a little bit more flexible.
However it is difficoult to prepare them.

You can even try this way: prepare it on a polystyrene table (the same for Coleoptera) only using pins.
When it is dryied you can glue it on a plastic or paper label, It is not the same final result, but it is acceptable.

The question on yellow pan trap is too long. We need an other topic ....

Ciao
Paolo
Paolo Rosa - www.chrysis.net
Euchroeus

Name: Paolo Rosa

Postby cosmln » 30 Jul 2011 18:45

Euchroeus wrote:... We need an other topic ....

waiting for that :) ... also waiting for details about that bait solution that can be made to attract chrysidids :)
Cosmin-Ovidiu Manci
cosmln

Postby Euchroeus » 17 Aug 2011 19:38

Hi Cosmin!

the bait solution to attract Chrysididae is very easy to prepare:
1. take an empty plastic box of 1,5 l.;
2. mix together 400-500 gr. of honey, 200-300 ml of Maraschino and fill with water;
3. put your solution in a sprayer.
That's all.
If you don't have maraschino you can always use any other alcoholic liquor, it's basically the same. I know someone who uses beer. It's up to you, try different products and then decide which is the best for you and your chrysidids :beer:

Then spray the solution on the leaves. Usually it works very well on Quercus leaves, but you can use it on every kind of plant where Chrysidids are flying in the proximity.

Only the experience will lead you in the right places.
Ciao
Paolo
Euchroeus

Postby Alex » 19 Aug 2011 21:22

Thanks for the info! :D
Will have to try and see if this could bring me some last few specimens this season, is it just me, or have this summer been really low on Chrysidids? In early summer I collected atleast some 10-20 over a couple of days, but since the middle of july (when I came back to Sweden) I've only been able to see maybe 3-5 individuals (not species, god no..) if I'm out for 4-5 hours on a good sunny day. And that is in nature reserves, so there's nothing wrong about the habitat : /

I take it you just spray the solution on leaves early in the day and check back later at intervals for chrysidids? Just out of curiousity what else does it attract besides the chrysidids?

/Alex
Alex

Name: Alexander Berg

Postby cosmln » 21 Aug 2011 08:26

thank you Paolo, will do so next season... now I think is over :((
Cosmin-Ovidiu Manci
cosmln

Postby Euchroeus » 22 Aug 2011 12:19

cosmln wrote:thank you Paolo, will do so next season... now I think is over :((

NO!
You can still use it in this season, it's not too late!!!

Many species have the second (or third) generation in September/October. Some others fly only in September.
For exemple Praestochrysis megerlei flies only at the end of August till the end of September; it is surely present in your country. It is one of the most rare European species, but you can collect it with the bait solution. It is a parasite of a Limacodid moth: Apoda limacodes. Search for this Lepidoptera or try the solution on Quercus leaves.

On other species that could be present is Pseudomalus meridianus , which usually flies late in August and September.

Then there are dozens of specimens (excluded Chrysura spp. which fly only in Spring) with a second generation at the end of August and September.

So, do not hesitate and go on collecting Chrysidid until October ;)
Euchroeus

Postby Euchroeus » 22 Aug 2011 12:30

Alex wrote:Thanks for the info! :D
Will have to try and see if this could bring me some last few specimens this season, is it just me, or have this summer been really low on Chrysidids? In early summer I collected atleast some 10-20 over a couple of days, but since the middle of july (when I came back to Sweden) I've only been able to see maybe 3-5 individuals (not species, god no..) if I'm out for 4-5 hours on a good sunny day. And that is in nature reserves, so there's nothing wrong about the habitat : /
/Alex

Hi Alex,
I don't know in N Europe, but between June and July I could collect about 1500 specimens moving around Spain, France, Lombardy, Tuscany and Aosta Valley. In some cases I observed less specimens, but I cannot say anything more on Northen European Chrysidids, you should ask to Villu.

Alex wrote: I take it you just spray the solution on leaves early in the day and check back later at intervals for chrysidids? Just out of curiousity what else does it attract besides the chrysidids?

Spray it on the leaves and wait. Usually all the Chrysidids flying around the tree arrive in few minutes. Then spray it again and again and check every 15-30 minutes: other specimens will arrive. I prefer to spray the solution on Quercus leaves.

This is best attractive system that I know; there are other systems which I don't want to use (i.e.: viscous yellow traps).
Euchroeus

Postby Villu » 30 Aug 2011 21:03

Euchroeus wrote:
Alex wrote:Thanks for the info! :D
/Alex

Hi Alex,
I don't know in N Europe, but between June and July I could collect about 1500 specimens moving around Spain, France, Lombardy, Tuscany and Aosta Valley. In some cases I observed less specimens, but I cannot say anything more on Northen European Chrysidids, you should ask to Villu.

Hi!

My observations about Chrysidid season in Northern Europe (especially Estonia) are following:
Although some may be found earlier in N Europe Chrysidid season starts around mid May (more or less, depending on the weather). After that the high season starts and numbers of specimens and species rises rapidly and whole June is the best period. I like most of all the last week of June, when one can collect hundreds of specimens per day, you only need to find a good habitat and a good substrate.

After June the numbers of active specimens start to drop and especially males become scarce. In mid July the happiest times of N European Chrysidid hunter are over. Luckily several soil-nesting species (like Hedychrum sp.) appear in this period compensating somewhat the decreased abundance of Chrysidids. Nevertheless numerous species remain active and can be found up till warmer autumn-days but they are usually not very abundant. It is not well documented if there are one or more generations of Chrysidids around here but it is quite likely that some species have partial second generation instead of elongated flight period.

Therefore I have pretty much finished my field-works for this year, only few of my traps are still operating.

Cheers,
Villu
Villu

Name: Villu Soon

Postby Alex » 02 Sep 2011 15:06

Thanks a lot Villu!
As a very new Chrysidid collector its very nice to get information like this straight from the experts :D

/Alex
Alex

Name: Alexander Berg

Return to Miscellanea